Monday, November 22, 2010

All you need is...Prague!

Fresh, new paint replaces yesterdays’ ramblings. Those tourists who proclaimed their love for Lennon, the Beatles or merely self-expression the day prior, are now simply an afterthought; a square inch of paint on an ever-changing palette. My trip to the John Lennon wall was truly an amazing experience. Getting a moment alone with the wall was an unexpected blessing. Usually the quaint street is flooded with tourists who spend the majority of their time snapping photos and throwing up the overused, yet necessary, peace symbol (yes…I did give in).

From afar, the wall bears a variety of paintings of Lennon:

a large Peace Symbol:

and tasteless graffiti that can stick out like a sore thumb, but taking a closer look is what really moved me. Individuals from all over the world, in a variety of languages, use the wall as a way to say something; something to a lover, a stranger or simply something for themselves. Visitors christen the wall with lyrics, poems, art, wedding proposals and so much more. Here are a few photos I snapped of my favorite little parts of the wall:

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I could have sat there for hours reading everything. Set me up a futon in front of the wall with a delicious Czech meal and call it a day!

When purchasing several photos of the wall from a vendor on the Charles Bridge and discussing with my friend what I would write on the wall if I decided to do so, the man wrapping up my photos looked up and said, “If you find something that inspires you…write it”. Really? These Czech people are so freaking adorable!

I made my way back to the wall the morning of our flight back to Roma for one last look at my favorite site and to catch a glimpse of the spot before the masses of tourists filtered through. With my headphones on and Beatles tunes blasting, I was beside myself. It was truly the perfect way to say "Until next time" to a great part of Prague.

No comments:

Post a Comment